Green Drop status is given to municipalities that comply with good wastewater discharge standards for 90 percent of the time for the following criteria:
- operational staff
- wastewater quality monitoring
- wastewater sample analysis
- submission of wastewater quality results
- wastewater quality compliance
- management of wastewater quality failures
- storm-water management
- wastewater treatment capacity
- publication of wastewater quality performance
- wastewater asset management
Green Drop status implies excellent wastewater management and a respect for the environment and the health of the community at large.
Nationally, ERWAT’s Green drop performance in 2013 report was 83.61% with 3 wastewater treatment works receiving Green drop certification, namely Hartebeestfontein WWTW and Waterval WWTW as well as Dekema WWTW, that retained its Green Drop status since 2011.